Monday, January 7, 2008

Not all the way back yet


I guess you could say I've been physically active most of my life....from swim team, gymnastics, dance and acrobats to some biking, running, and all different kinds of aerobics for as long as I can remember. A year ago (or thereabouts), I got back in the gym. Before marriage and kids, you could have found me at the gym nearly every weeknight for at least two hours. You know what happens when you get married and have kids...it's not that I stopped exercising entirely, but there were so many other things that were priorities. However, a year ago, I decided that it was really time to start taking care of my body once again, so back to the gym I went.

In April, I was on the treadmill and started having pain in my right knee. Hmmm......I went to the doctor. Her advice..."Maybe you shouldn't run." Really? I have never heard of a doctor saying that to anyone before, and I was a little miffed. But I left her office with some anti-inflammatory meds, was urged to come back in if the pain didn't go away, and I switched to the elliptical machine at the gym. A few months later, the pain was still there and getting worse. By the end of October, my knee hurt pretty much all the time. No gym, no running, no walking, no biking. I finally caved and went back to the doc, got that wonderful referral to the ortho and on December 14th, had orthroscopic surgery. All the ligaments and the miniscus were fine, but my kneecap was tilted. Good ole Doc C fixed it right up. That was 3 1/2 weeks ago. Last week, I started to really want to get back into the gym, but I waited. Today, the kids went back to school. And me....I went back to the gym. I curtailed the workout a bit...and my knee was fine. I didn't push it too much, but I needed to see what I could do and what I couldn't do. Here I am, four hours later, ice on my knee. It doesn't really hurt, but it's definitely very stiff. Guess I'm not quite all the way back yet, but I'll get there.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

You'll get there, give it time. And way to go on getting back to the gym. I'm sure it was peaceful today at the house...for a while at least.

Melissa said...

Look at you..I am impressed. I would have used that surgery excuse for a long time.

The Phamily Matriarch said...

Holy moly, D! Take it easy! ;)

Feel better soon.
J-Bug (my new sig...Darc's nickname for me LOL)

girlyhurley said...

I understand about how hard it is to stay away from the gym! I too used to be a gym monkey . . .I'm trying hard to get back into it! Take it easy. . .you will get back!

L