Thursday, May 8, 2008

Can I buy a full night of uninterrupted sleep?


I'm sure you can probably find it on eBay or something....probably up there in lights somewhere. It has been a week of disrupted, and dare I say it, crappy sleep. It started Sunday night...I was up between 12:30 and 4am. I got so angry at one point that the anger kept me from falling back asleep! I was mad at myself. I felt bad that E-man was coughing and wet the bed. But then the rest was just irritating. Every time I would even come close to finally falling back asleep, the dog would move, or Michael would turn over, or the cat would crawl up into my face, or a neighborhood dog would bark, or any other random noise that just catches you right before you fall into the land of sleep. Needless to say, I was slightly cranky when I got up and was praying Monday night would bring rest. It was not to be. Princess G has a cold. It's been going on for a couple of weeks. She was up in the middle of the night with a cough. Poor girl. I really felt bad for her. She just doesn't get coughs, and she never gets them to the point they're waking her up. Sigh...another night of interrupted sleep. Tuesday morning, I headed to the gym. I was hoping a good workout would be enough to make me relaxed and tired to the point NOTHING would wake me up. But then a nightmare for Princess G, another bed-wetting episode for E-man, more coughing and an earache for PG, and there I was again...NOT asleep for most of the night. Last night I finally caved and took something that usually helps me get the sleep I'm after. You know what? It didn't work....yet another bed-wetting, an asthma attack, and yet even more coughing. I was awake between 12:30 and 2 am, and kept waking up the rest of the night.

Now I realize that with three young children, a full night of uninterrupted sleep could be asking for quite a lot. But to have over a week of middle of the night wake-up calls and restless sleep the rest of the time has completely worn me out. My husband asked me what I want for Mother's Day...My prompt response was a day where I didn't have to do anything, and at least two hours in the afternoon to take a nice, quiet nap. I will be turning the phone off Sunday afternoon. I'm even thinking about getting one of those little satin eye masks. And I'm off to check out eBay right now to see if you can buy a full night of sleep. That is an auction I will fight to the bitter end to win! Ah....to have the sleep of the young and unconcerned.

No comments: