Monday, March 3, 2008

It's Been a Day and a Half



What a Monday.....I knew it was going to be busy anyways, but then a few things happened to make it completely nuts.

Lady is our oldest cocker spaniel. She'll be fifteen in April. She doesn't see very well, can hardly hear at all (unless it's the door to the pantry opening - that's where her food is and she comes running from wherever she is in the house as soon as you open that door!), and her hind legs don't hold up very well. Her vet says in spite of all that, she is in pretty good health, and could last five more years. Anyways, M decided to give her a shave on Saturday. There was one knot on her neck that he just couldn't get, so yesterday I gave her a bath to try to wash and cut it out. I found a (sorry to be gross) disgusting growth on her neck. It sceeved me out completely. I almost took her to the vet yesterday, but decided that since it didn't seem to be bothering her, she wasn't in any distress, I would just call and take her in today.

E-man has been snuffling, whiny, and extra clingey the past couple of days. This morning, he wasn't really any better. He seemed tired, and just wanted to be held. I knew I had a lot going on today, but figured he would be better with me than at school. So I made the call and kept him out of preschool today. And the race was on.....We went to Target, then to my dentist appt, ran home and grabbed Lady and took her to the vet. After the vet, we went straight to the school to pick up Princess G and our neighbor boy, came home and had lunch. I actually got some work done (1.5 hours), then we left again to pick up Roo. From school, we went BACK to the dentist's office for the kids' appointment, then ran to the opthamologist's office to pick up Roo's glasses. Now we're home...mad dash to get the house cleaned up before the sitter arrives, and in 30 minutes, Princess G and I will leave for cheerleading. Tired yet? I'm toast.

As for Lady, she does have a nodule. The vet is pretty sure it's NOT cancer, but just a growth that somehow got irritated and then infected. We could take a conservative route of antibiotics and ointment with a follow-up appointment next week, or they could put her under and remove it surgically. Based on her age, he's hesitant to deal with anesthesia unless absolutely necessary, so we have an ointment to put on twice a day, and meds to give once a day, with an appointment to go back next week. Because of the location of the mass, they couldn't put a cone on her head, so she has a little "hoodie". Looks kind of like something you might wear to go skiing, only it doesn't cover her face.

Our day is almost over. I'm coming to dread Mondays for the most part. They aren't usually this chaotic, but there's more potential on Mondays now than any other day of the week.

1 comment:

Zavorski Kiddos said...

I am glad to hear the update. I fell off the wagon myself but I continue to try and read everyone else's updates. I miss you girls!!