Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Boys in Residence.....In case there was any doubt


I was/am a girly-girl....I played with dolls, read like a fiend, and would rather dance to the Grease soundtrack than get anywhere near dirt when I was growing up. I often say that God is surely up there in Heaven laughing at me. He gave me two boys.....two very-much-boy boys. Who knew? I had no clue how destructive and loud boys would be. And even eight years later, I still find myself shocked sometimes at something my boys have done.

A few weeks back, I was out in the backyard collecting some of the things the dog had gotten into, as well as picking up some of the legos and bionicles my beautiful babies had taken out for mud baths. In the midst of one of the planters, I saw one of those little green army guys. He was laying there, just like he was on a stake-out or something. Then I looked around. There were little green army men all over the hill, in the grass, among the plants. They had a few jeeps, a couple of tanks, and even one fighter jet. I stood up, and bonked my head on the small tree we have out there. What the heck? There was an army guy hanging in the tree!! Nope, there were about 20 army guys hanging in the tree. I couldn't help myself...I just started to laugh. I never would have ever thought to have a mock-battle on that hill in the backyard, much less have pretend explosions that would blow them up into the tree. Or maybe they were parachuting down from their crashing plane? It was just a moment of tangible evidence of the difference between how boys and girly-girls play.

I'm adjusting to having boys. I love it, most of the time. They're messy, they're loud, they often smell, they take great joy in bodily noises and functions, they're dirty. But they also give the best hugs, and always are Mommy's boys, regardless. I still thank God every day for giving me one girl to at least balance it out a little bit. And thankfully Princess G is all girl. But I am so happy God saw fit to have a giggle and give me two boys.

No comments: